Sunday, October 24, 2010

Post # 5 - Interview (Alfonso Sanchez Tabernero)

Alfonso Sanchez Tabernero is Dean & Professor Informative Business  in the School of Communication, best known as fcom, in the University of Navarra. . Furthermore, he has been working in different international universities such as The University of Manchester or The Northwestern University of Chicago. Fortunately, today we have had the opportunity of interviewing him. Because of being an expert in the field I focus the questions in the future of advertising and the Faculty of Communication

I.E. Good afternoon Mr. Alfonso. First of all I would like you to explain what is your paper in the Faculty of Communication.
A.S.T.: My paper at fcom is the combination of two different lectures given each week. On one hand I am in charge of the the master's degrees in Management of Communication Business. On the other I give the class of Informative Business at the same University.

I.E. Well, that makes it clear to know that you are an expert in communication. Then, in your view, how has advertisement developed to what it is nowadays?
A.S.T.: So as not to be here the whole afternoon I will summarized it. Advertisement is an study that has always been in society, human beings are always thirst of news. The main objective have always been the same, though some little aspects have changed. Then, what has change? the methodology has developed little by little and becoming more proffesinal to what is advertising nowadays. Besides and consequently, technology has introduce new tools which helps a lot.

I.E. The field of Communication is made up by three branches; advertisement, journalism and communication audiovisual. However, advertisement is prone to be the most discredited one, or so it has been many years. Why should we consider it as an important subject?
A.S.T.: Maybe, people does not discredit advertising, but the fact is that the actual concept of advertising is much younger than the other subjects in the same field. The importance of it is as huge as the  relevance of journalism or cav; it is advertising who introduces ideas in society's minds. Therefore, it is true that we should promote it, and that is one of the objective of fcom.  

I.E. The art of doing advertisement consist of creating a message so as to persuade the public of an idea (the acquisition of a product, alcoholism while driving, politics...) Consequently, I wonder if advertisement has a limit of using its convincing power with certain messages which could harm society.
A.S.T.: Advertising, as we have already said, is an powerful tool, with it great and terrible thing can be done. The choice depends on the advertiser. From my point of view, there are some limits which shouldn't be trespassed. Advertisement shouldn't aim to subjects which can harm society.

I.E. Then, should it be an institution controlling advertisement?
A.S.T.: Of there should and, in some cases, there is. 

I.E. Is not this measure against the freedom of speech?
A.S.T.: Absolutely not, because my freedom limits with others freedom. If I use advertising to damage other people I am not respecting that people and that is against the principle of freedom.

I.E. I totally agree. Another point, Which is the future of advertising?
A.S.T.More precisely, please.

I.E. Lets say in the next 10 years
A.S.T.: This next years will be very interesting. The expansion of the web 2.0. and blogs have become so practical and used tools. Thanks to them anyone can do the paper of "advertiser". Consequently, the people will start to look for quality, and thats the future. 

I..E. And therefore, which is the commitment of the University of Navarra with the future advertisers? What is expected out of them?
A.S.T.: Since they enter to fcom they are teach with the most innovative methods been used, consequently, the will be prepared the day they finish the degree. The students of fcom are expected to be creative advertiser who create and establish the future tendencies.

I.E. Thank you so much for your time. It has been such a productive and interesting chat.
A.S.T.: You are absolutely welcome, I am available for any other interview if you wish in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment